Baby Rory 2011

 BabyFruit Ticker

HAYDEN2010

Get $10 off
your first order of diapers
use code HAYDEN2010$49 min. total order
buy diapers
shop diapers.comdiapers.com  baby store
plus shop for all your baby needs.

Monday, March 17, 2008

"Ring around the rosy, pocket full of posies..."

Over the last several months, I have discovered several of my ultimate pet peeves. My first is one that I am obviously not quiet about...pending motherhood. It is not so much that I dislike the idea; actually quite the opposite. I wait impatiently for the day that Kyle and I will have children. However, I feel that we need to wait until....well, AT LEAST LET ME FINISH SCHOOL, PEOPLE!!!
Kyle and I have been bombarded by the "when are you having a baby" questions, like that is all we have left in our lives to do--make babies. You get married, and therefore the next thing on your list of life time achievements is babies. Seriously, we were barely married when someone asked us when we were going to start having children....well, I know technology has come a long way in the last decade, but as far as I know, you still have to wait 9 months to have a child!
Yes, becoming a mother is what I really want. I also believe that it is one of the most important things that I can ever do in my life. I am excited for the day that I have two pink lines instead of one....but that day is not here yet.

My next pet peeve is very similar...Since when did it ever become polite to ask people if they are pregnant? There is no polite way to ask someone that, especially if they haven't announced it. I had a lady greet me one day and then ask "so, am I seeing what I think I'm seeing?" (I was wearing an empire-waist shirt, so I guess that didn't help much) "No, I'm just getting fat...thank you for asking."
I've also been very excited lately about my new job...so whenever I go to tell someone...."Guess what? I have great news", they come back with "you're pregnant!?!"
...Perhaps I should stop asking people to guess...

And lastly, I find it entirely arrogant that people who have entered motherhood, whether they are new or "pros", seem to have this smugness about them. They "know it all". (but obviously do not!) And apparently, if you have not had a child...you don't have a clue.
"You'll understand someday" they'll say to me. They act as if they have unlocked some mysterious portion of their brain upon delivery of their child that gives them this innate understanding of what all children are like. And those who have not had children are just clueless. (This scenerio usually follows my comments about raising children/proper discipline)
I have not had children, nor do I claim that I know exactly how to handle every situation that may arise. However, I have had many experiences with taking care of children (some good, and some very bad) and I can tell you from those experiences and also knowing how parents handle situations (ie tantrums) that I have had enough understanding of the topic to say that children's behavior is a direct response to their parents' actions. Discipline is teaching your child what to do and how to do it; teaching them right from wrong; helping them to become the person they will be. Also, they learn what to do from immitating people; usually the parents. More than anything, I have realized that what I do and say will be evident in my children (when we have them) and how I respond to their sinful nature (tantrums, talking back, etc.) is what will be important in raising them. (example-if you let them get away with talking back or give into their tantrums...they will just continue. You are not solving anything!) Discipline is key...there is no getting around that one.
It is annoying as all get-out that parents stand by and actually watch as their children do things that are unacceptable, and then fail to stop them or teach them that it is not acceptable. Yes, children will be children, but they misbehave when parents allow them to do so.
All I can say is....Parents....get in the game!

Ending on a more positive note...:) I really do have a hard core case of the "baby fever", and try to get my baby fix whenever I can (See picture!!)....perhaps I should take a Tylenol (antipyretic, for you nurses out there! ;)) and lie down a while. It should help with the fever...



--Rosie (with her baby fever) and Brandon Scott Jones (the very first Wohlschlegel grandbaby!)

He's soooo cute!!!

No comments: